Thursday, June 11, 2009

OFF DAY: Valet Parking Etiquette





I was off today. I spent the majority of my day sleeping. When I finally woke up I woke up with a headache and the vile morning, which was really late afternoon, breath. You know your breath is bad when you wake up wondering if you'd eaten shit sandwiches some time during the night. I'm fairly sure my girlfriend slightly fainted when I attempted to talk to her when I woke up. I think I'll go wash my mouth right now, the thought of my breath earlier gives me that not so fresh feeling.

All of my hospitality career except for the last year has been spent in the Guest Services department and for the most part my job always paid the bills and gave me enough money to participate fully in the majority of my vices.

For almost six years I worked at the front door of a major hotel and resort as a valet parker, even the official name was a valet hiker, which never really made sense to me.

Working valet made me learn a very important life lesson:

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER VALET PARK!


Seriously, I'm not the kind of person who would kid about these things. Me, personally was the best goddamned valet parking associate you could find, however, astrophysics is not necessarily a prereq for working as a valet parker, even at the finest of establishments.

There is a simple rule avoids the majority of any problems that one may experience if and when you're forced to valet park and it's fairly simple.

Tip up front.


Yep, that's it, tip the poor soul who would like nothing more than for you to be a dick so that he can be guilt free when he rifles through your shit, the more you tip up front the less the chances that everything will be the same with your car when you get it back, however, a couple of dollars up front will at the very least get your car parked with minimal damage.

Now, lets say you don't tip anything up front, now you're just another person who wants their vehicle parked and who didn't tip up front, basically, you're no one special, which means your vehicle is fair game for, well, just about anything you can imagine.

To be continued (Maybe)

No comments:

Post a Comment